subdomain problem...

Michael Varre bind9 at kishmish.com
Thu Sep 9 15:06:28 UTC 2004

[snip]

> Now I like to do this in "bind9" but while reading the "Bind
> 9 Administrator Reference Manual" and some other docs I am
> geting headache
>
> Please can anyone tell me simpel, how to make subdomains ?

I guess the obvious question is have you actually setup BIND on your
server? And if it is "set up" have you gotten it to work at all?  The
admin ref manual should tell you everything you need to know.

You first setup the named.conf like...
zone "domain.com" {
    type master;
    notify no;
    file "/var/named/domain.com.hosts";
    };

Then you create your /var/named/domain.com.hosts like....

$ttl 38400
Domain.com.    IN    SOA    me.com.		hostmaster.domain.com. (
            1025702225
            10800
            3600
            604800
            38400 )
@		IN	A	dotted.ip
Www		IN	CNAME	domain.com.

That's pretty basic setup.  But of course you need to make sure your
bind9 is actually running properly before you start adding domains.