reverse lookup for single address

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 9 11:39:55 UTC 2004

Tony Tung <tonytung at csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to get my name server on my server to answer reverse lookup.
> That is, my server lives at 12.34.56.78 (address faked), but that is the
> only address I have.  I want to be able to do this from a remote server:
>
> nslookup 12.34.56.78 12.34.56.78

Do you mean explicitly send the query to your machine, which is what
you seem to be doing there, or do you want the reverse to be generally
visible in the DNS using normal lookups?

If the latter, as others have said, you need to sort it out with the
people who manage the zone 56.34.12.in-addr.arpa, either to add your
PTR to the zone, or to delegate your address to you.

> and get a correct resolution.  I've managed to do that much.  However, I
> can no longer reverse-resolve other addresses in the same subnet from my
> own server, i.e., I cannot reverse-map 12.34.56.80.
>
> Can someone give me some tips?  This is what I have in my named.conf:
>
> zone "56.34.12.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>         type slave;
>         file "master/pub.rev";
>         masters {
>             64.81.79.2;
>             216.231.41.2;
>         };
> };
>
> and in pub.rev:
>
> $ORIGIN 56.34.12.in-addr.arpa.
> $TTL    3600
> @       IN      SOA
> myserver.org. root.myserver.org.  (
>                                 20030406        ; Serial
>                                 3600    ; Refresh
>                                 900     ; Retry
>                                 3600000 ; Expire
>                                 3600 )  ; Minimum
>         IN      NS      myserver.org.
> 78      IN      PTR     myserver.org.

Making the full reverse a zone *might* work, but it's not clear
what master/slave setup you're trying to fit into above.  Try this:

In named.conf:

zone "78.56.34.12.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "master/pub.rev";