rndc does not work (9.1.1 <--> 9.2.3)

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Sep 9 08:38:29 UTC 2004

    Benjamin> However, when I try t run rndc on my NT-4.0-box, I get
    Benjamin> the following error message:

    Benjamin> rndc: connection to remote host closed
    Benjamin> This may indicate that the remote server is using an
    Benjamin> older version of the command protocol, this host is not
    Benjamin> authorized to connect, or the key is invalid.

    Benjamin> Is there any chance at all to make this work?

This is a FAQ. Try running the version of rndc that's appropriate for
the version of named that you're running. ie With a 9.2.3 name server,
use the 9.2.3 version of rndc. The error message you got is fairly
clear that you could have a protocol (version) mismatch. This should
also be reported in the name server's logs. Though logging on the
rather old 9.1.1 is probably less helpful than it is the latest BIND9
release.

BTW, you should be always running the *current* version of BIND. For
BIND9 this is 9.2.3. New versions are due Real Soon Now. Check the ISC
web site.