A Bug in Bind 9.3.0?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Sep 7 22:17:37 UTC 2004

> Hi,
>
> to delete a record dynamicly I use nsupdate with the prereqisit that this
> record must exist, so I get an errormessages NXRRSET when it doesn't, what
> ist, in most cases, an typo of by using nsupdate.
>
> But in some cases this doesn't work! For example: If there are the two
> records in my zone:
> foo.baa.com A 10.0.0.1
> foo.baa.com A 10.0.0.2
> and I use nsupdate to delete the second one with:
> prereq yxrrset foo.baa.com A 10.0.0.2
> update delete foo.baa.com A 10.0.0.2
> then I get from named the response: NXRRSET!
>
> Is this a bug or do I understand something wrong?

	If you don't care abut the presence of foo.baa.com A 10.0.0.1

	Use
		prereq yxrrset foo.baa.com A
		update delete foo.baa.com A 10.0.0.2

	or just

		update delete foo.baa.com A 10.0.0.2

	depending upon whether you want a error message back if there
	wasn't an A record at foo.baa.com.

      (2)  RRset exists (value dependent).  A set of RRs with a
           specified NAME and TYPE exists and has the same members
           with the same RDATAs as the RRset specified here in this
           Section.

	The prerequisite section talks about RR sets.  This is a
	exact match.  Unfortunately there is no way to specify a
	partial match.  For a partial match it would have words to
	like.

      (2)  RRset exists (value dependent).  A set of RRs with a
           specified NAME and TYPE exists and has the same members
           with the same RDATAs as the RRset specified here in this
	   Section plus possibly other RRs with the same NAME and TYPE.

	If you feel our interpretation is wrong this should be discussed
	on namedroppers.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC