Subdomains and Slaves

Vince Hoffman jhary at unsane.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 18:57:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Mooky Mooksgill wrote:

> My ISP hosts my domain's DNS.
>
> I'd like to specify public DNS servers as  DNS servers 3 and 4 at my
> registrar.
>
> I want to be able to manage subdomains myself w/o dealing w/ my isp.
>
> If I designate these nameservers (3 and 4) as slaves, will I still be able
> to edit subdomain info on them, and have it propagate?
>
> Or do I have to have all the info on the primaries (thus making me deal with
> my ISP)?
>
> Currently, depending on which nameserver my pc has specified for DNS, my
> subdomains
> work, or don't. I have a feeling 3 and 4 are conflicting for primary status
> with 1 and 2?
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Should I just use the public DNA servers as the domain's only DNS servers?
>
> Thanks for any insight on how to manage subdomains independent of my ISP's
> DNS servers.

What you will need to do is delegate the subdomain, ON YOUR ISPS DNS
SERVERS, to the public DNS server setting them as master for that
subdomain.
I have the subdomain test.unsane.co.uk for a similar reason.
on the primary namesevers I have
--snip SOA etc------
$ORIGIN unsane.co.uk.
test                    NS      ns0.test.unsane.co.uk.
                        NS      ns1.test
$ORIGIN test.unsane.co.uk.
ns0                     A       82.152.23.78
ns1                     A       213.48.96.20
thus setting ns0 and ns1 as primary nameservers for that subdomain, and
providing glue for those nameserver.

then on the specified nameservers I have the zone test.unsane.co.uk setup
as you would any other zone.

I'm in no way a bind or dns expert so i may have done something wrong and
not know, but it works for me.

Vince