BIND 9.3.0rc4 is now available.

Paul Vixie vixie at sa.vix.com
Sun Sep 5 03:47:39 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> writes:

> > ...  use dig instead.  but we have to keep shipping [nslookup].
>
> There are undoubtedly many scripts out there that use it, too.  It
> wouldn't be nice to break all of them just because there are better tools
> available (e.g. awk hasn't been deprecated just because things like Perl
> and Python make it redundant).

nslookup isn't redundant.  it's Evil.

> My guess is that die-hard nslookup users complained to ISC that it's not
> their duty to tell them what client applications to use.  If they want
> to use crappy software, let them.

actually, not.  noone who complained was a user themselves.  however, members
of the BIND Forum who redistribute BIND to their customers told us that their
customers were intolerant of our struggle against the Evil of nslookup.  so,
it must remain.  (that's how we keep the lights on at ISC.  now you know.)
--
Paul Vixie