bind 9.2.3 does not run threaded on Linux RH Enterprise

Jason Vas Dias jvdias at redhat.com
Fri Sep 3 20:57:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 11:11, Mats Dufberg wrote:
> We have Intel servers with dual CPU and hyper threading (4 logical CPU's)
> running "Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon)" with kernel
> 2.4.26smp.
>
> We want to run bind 9.2.3 threaded on those machines, so I've configured
> with --enable-threads and compiled. There are no compilation error, but
> when I execute bind it just starts and disappear. The only traces are the
> following log entries
>
>    ... named[28838]: starting BIND 9.2.3 -u named -c /etc/named.conf
>    ... named[28838]: using 4 CPUs
>
> I've tried to increase logging but no more traces are given.
>
> We also tried BIND 9.2.4rc7 with the same result.
>

> Does anybody have any information to share?
>

> Mats

> Mats Dufberg                                       TeliaSonera Sverige
> dufberg at telia.net                                  Naet och Produktion
> +46 8 713 54 38                                 Vitsandsgatan 9, hus D
> +46 70 258 2588                                       SE-123 86 Farsta

We've been testing multi-threaded bind-9.2.4+ on
multiprocessor Red Hat systems for some time with
no problems.

This could be an installation / compilation issue.
To exclude this possibility, try downloading and
compiling the Red Hat distribution of bind-9.2.4rc7,
which DOES use '--enable-threads' :
ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/bind-9.2.4rc7-10.src.rpm
Use 'rpmbuild --rebuild bind-9.2.4rc7-10.rpm' and
install the resulting rpms in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS -
this will ensure everything is installed correctly for
a Red Hat system.

There is also a binary distribution of bind-9.2.4rc6
for RHEL-3, also compiled with --enable-threads,
(the default for Red Hat distributions) which you
could get using 'up2date'.

If you still have problems using one of these distributions,
please let me know.