bind 9.2.3 does not run threaded on Linux RH Enterprise

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Sep 3 18:01:53 UTC 2004

Mats Dufberg <dufberg at telia.net> wrote:
> We have Intel servers with dual CPU and hyper threading (4 logical CPU'=
s)=20
> running "Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon)" with kernel=20
> 2.4.26smp.

> We want to run bind 9.2.3 threaded on those machines, so I've configure=
d=20
> with --enable-threads and compiled. There are no compilation error, but=
=20
> when I execute bind it just starts and disappear. The only traces are t=
he=20
> following log entries

>    ... named[28838]: starting BIND 9.2.3 -u named -c /etc/named.conf
>    ... named[28838]: using 4 CPUs

> I've tried to increase logging but no more traces are given.

> We also tried BIND 9.2.4rc7 with the same result.

> Does anybody have any information to share?

I run bind 9.2.3 on FreeBSD multicpu with no problems whatsoever :
> ps -axl
  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAN=
   53 88174     1   0   2  0 93060 91020 poll   Ss    ??  192:24.71 named=
 -t /var/named -c /named.conf -u bind -n

I can borrow you  freebsd CD if you need :-)

Seriously, do you try to bind to aliasaddresses ? There has been issues w=
ith=20
linux here.

> Mats

> Mats Dufberg                                       TeliaSonera Sverige
> dufberg at telia.net                                  Naet och Produktion
> +46 8 713 54 38                                 Vitsandsgatan 9, hus D
> +46 70 258 2588                                       SE-123 86 Farsta

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,