Sub-domain delegation for BIND 9.2.3

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Sep 3 17:53:16 UTC 2004

Apache Apache <apacheusr at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> Have done as advised but when I performed a nslookup, I can only get
> non-existent host/domain and not able to resolve host.xyz.company.abc.com.
> Pls advise is there anything that I missed out. Thank you.

>>From: phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
>>To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
>>Subject: Re: Sub-domain delegation for BIND 9.2.3
>>Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:52:18 +0000 (UTC)
>>
>>Apache Apache <apacheusr at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have a server (ie. serverA) running BIND 9.2.3 and is a master DNS fo=
>>r=20
>> > parent domain company.abc.com. Users are pointing to this server for na=
>>me=20
>> > resolution.
>>
>> > I have another server (ie. serverB using F5 DNS) and I would like
>>this=20
>> > server to serve the domain xyz.company.abc.com.
>>
>> > What are the changes required on my named.conf and db.company.abc.com f=
>>or=20
>> > serverA in order for users to be able to resolve host.xyz.company.abc.c=
>>om???
>>
>>A proper delagation. ( a couple of NS records in xyz.company.abc.com. )
>>
>> > Thank you.

>>--=20
>>Peter H=E5kanson        =20
>>         IPSec  Sverige      ( At Gothenburg Riverside )
>>            Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
>>,
>>	   remove "icke-reklam" if you feel for mailing me. Thanx.

Proper delegation is to add a 'NS' records where LHS is the sibdomain name
and RHS is the FQDN of the nameserver(s) configured as servers for the zone.

nslookup is a tool that is broken in most hands. The symptoms you tell about
might be problems with nslookup.

Why don't you publish the name of the zone , the contents ( at least the relevant parts)
of the zonefile(s) and configfiles ? That way we don't have to guess

--
Peter Håkanson