BIND only resolves hostname on the second attempt

Brian Kendig brian at enchanter.net
Fri Oct 29 00:50:03 UTC 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 8:37 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

> 	Upgrade / configure your firewall to handle EDNS.  It is
> 	blocking the following reply from the root servers.  Note
> 	it is bigger than 512 byte of a standard DNS query.

Thank you for the response - I'll reconfig my firewall.

This brings up the question, though: where is EDNS coming into play?
My understanding is that EDNS is a Microsoft Server 2003 extension, but
I'm only running Mac computers here, no Microsoft.  Are the root
servers running Windows Server 2003?  Or does this only cause a problem
when I try to resolve a site whose primary DNS is running Windows
Server 2003?

And why would this problem have only started occurring a few days ago
to me (and to Scott Haneda, who also reported it)?  Why would a
Microsoft feature break things for those of us who aren't using
anything Microsoft?

Thanks for any info.  I just want to get my facts straight.

   - B