rndc: connect failed: connection refused

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Sun Oct 17 16:53:56 UTC 2004

> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:31:04 +0100
> To: Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu>, comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> From: Greg Mathews <greg at hostingtheinter.net>
> Subject: Re: rndc: connect failed: connection refused
>
> OK thanks for the info Barry and Jim
>
> It appears that my problem is not with rndc as that does work when named is
> running, my problem is actually with the /etc/rc.d/init.d/named which is
> not starting named although it tells me it has. I have been restarting

What do your system messages tell you?  Why is named NOT starting?

I believe that you may have a problem with the named config since it
has been MY experience that named always starts when properly
configured...  The start up scripts DO work...

This includes the "restart" option to /etc/init.d/named.  All THAT does
it do

/etc/init.d/named stop
/etc/init.d/named start

(Internally to the script of course.)

[... beginning of script and switch statement ...]
restart() {
	stop
	start
}

[...end of script...]

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> named when adding/editing zones but I now realise that I should just be
> reloading it.
>
> This solves my problem except when my box is rebooted, as it was by my host
> last night for network maintenance and named isn't starting at boot up but
> I can monitor that another way and it doesn't happen that often, last night
> being the first reboot for over a year.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Greg
>
> At 14:26 17/10/2004, Barry Margolin wrote:
> >In article <cktpb4$2q86$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> >  Greg Mathews <greg at hostingtheinter.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > If this isn't the right list for this I appologise now
> > >
> > > To restart named etc I've been using the command line
> > >
> > > /etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart
> >
> >Try: rndc exec
> >

> > > but recently this has stopped working, ie restart will stop named but
> > > doesn't restart it again
> > >
> > > when I attempt to start named using rndc it returns the error
> > >
> > > 'rndc: connect failed: connection refused'
> >
> >Rndc works by sending a control message to named.  If named isn't
> >running, there's nothing for it to connect to in order to send the
> >message.  To start named you should just run named itself.
> >
> >--
> >Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
> >Arlington, MA
> >*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin