installing bind

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Oct 17 00:32:25 UTC 2004

At 12:06 PM 10/12/2004, David Botham wrote:
>You put resolv.conf in the location where your OS is going to use it.
>However, NT does not use resolv.conf.  I am not sure if the NT port of
>BIND requires it though.

Only the tools: nslookup (ISC's version), nsupdate, host and dig
(only if requested) use resolv.conf. In the case of Windows,
for BIND 8 and BIND 9 prior to 9.3.0 these tools will use resolv.conf
if it exists in system32/drivers/etc/ and fall back to using nameserver
at 127.0.0.1 if not found. As of BIND 9.3.0 resolv.conf is not necessary
on Windows as it will use the settings it finds in the registry for things
like the list of namservers, search, and domain name suffixes. It will,
however, use it if it is present.

Danny