Going crazy! -- "Sending Notifies" not working on Redhat Enterprise v3??

Raiden raiden at ocliw.com
Wed Oct 13 06:43:46 UTC 2004

Hello,

Ok, I think I've pulled out most of my hair over the last few hours.

I have used Bind 9.2.1 with various flavors of Redhat for a while, and
have had no problems.  However, I am having problems with zone
transfers and the default installation of Bind 9.2.4rc6 in RHEL v3,
and I believe that it has to do with notifies not occurring.  (When I
say default installation, it is the installation that comes with RHEL
Workstation, and is not "supported" by Redhat.)

I have two servers, one the master, the second the slave.  When the
slave starts up, if none of the zones have been downloaded from the
master, it successfully downloads them.  Both DNS servers seem to be
fully operational.  That's the good part.

The bad part is, when I restart the master server, it says in the
messages log that it is sending notifies, but none seem to be being
sent.  (There are no errors in the logs.)  I have udp and tcp port 53
open for all traffic on both servers, but I have also tried this with
the firewalls disabled.

I have sniffed traffic on both machines, and I do not see any
notification traffic at all (I believe it should be tcp traffic over
port 53, but I don't see any traffic what-so-ever when it claims it's
"sending notifies").

However, when the refresh timeout is reached, the slave server DOES
poll the master server, and DOES succesfully download the new zone
file.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

Below are my named.custom configuration files (that are read by
named.conf as per RHEL's configuration file setup):

## master -- 64.71.162.42
options {
        query-source address * port 53;
        directory "/var/named";
        pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
        allow-transfer { 64.71.162.46; };
};

logging {
        category lame-servers { null; };
};

zone "myvemma.com" IN {
        type master;
        file "db.myvemma.com";
};

zone "subnet40.162.71.64.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.64.71.162.40";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "db.127.0.0";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "db.cache";
};

## slave -- 64.71.162.46
options {
        query-source address * port 53;
        directory "/var/named";
        pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
};

logging {
        category lame-servers { null; };
};

zone "myvemma.com" IN {
        type slave;
        file "slaves/bak.myvemma.com";
        masters { 64.71.162.42; };
};

zone "subnet40.162.71.64.in-addr.arpa"{
        type slave;
        file "slaves/bak.64.71.162.40";
        masters { 64.71.162.42; };
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "db.127.0.0";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "db.cache";
};

## zone file on master
$TTL 3h
myvemma.com. IN SOA ns1.myvemma.com. support.myvemma.com. (
        2004101101       ; serial
        3h      ; refresh after 3 hours
        1h      ; retry after 1 hour
        1w      ; expire after 1 week
        1h )    ; negative caching TTL of 1 hour

myvemma.com.    IN NS   ns1.myvemma.com.
myvemma.com.    IN NS   ns2.myvemma.com.

;
; host addresses
;
localhost.myvemma.com.          IN A    127.0.0.1
web01.myvemma.com.              IN A    64.71.162.46
web02.myvemma.com.              IN A    64.71.162.42
myvemma.com.                    IN A    64.71.162.46

myvemma.com.                    IN MX 0 myvemma.com.

www.myvemma.com.                IN CNAME        myvemma.com.
ns1.myvemma.com.                IN CNAME        web01.myvemma.com.
ns2.myvemma.com.                IN CNAME        web02.myvemma.com.

Any assistance with this is much, much appreciated!

Thank you,
-Raiden Johnson