Bind 9, Wildcard Records and Road Runner

Paul Vixie vixie at sa.vix.com
Sun Oct 10 03:39:17 UTC 2004

> > ...  the whole process takes less than one second, and is fully
> > automated, fully secure, uses no wildcards, and encounters no
> > filtering.  it will work on BIND9 (preferred) or BIND8 (if you must;
> > use ndc rather than rndc in this case).
>
> So even with a very large number of zones (hundreds of thousands, if not
> millions) this process would still take less than a second?  We are using
> Bind 9.

regrettably, it will get slower as you get beyond 10000 to 20000 zones, and
even getting that far will require segmentation of your named.conf file into
"include" files.  you'd need DLZ, which is going to be integrated into bind9
in the near future, but which is available as a patch for current versions.
rob butler created DLZ under a grant from Stichting NLNet.  the patch is
available from them, at <http://www.nlnet.nl/project/bind-dlz/>.
--
Paul Vixie