serial number format in dynamic dns update

Stefan Puiu stefanpuiu at itcnetworks.ro
Thu Oct 7 13:20:00 UTC 2004

I think that format is suggested if you only manually update your zone
(by editing the zone file). Any DDNS update would trigger the
incrementation of the serial number as specified in RFC 1982. I didn't
have the patience to read the RFC thoroughly, but I noticed that in the
BIND 9 code, they do something like this (it's a define): :

new_serial = (old_serial + 1) & 0xFFFFFFFF;
if (new_serial == 0) {
    new_serial = 1;
}

So, your serial number will become 2004103200. I suggest you read the
RFC for the gory details.