daemon shutdown time with large zones (bind 9.2.4)

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp
Thu Oct 7 06:44:24 UTC 2004

> It would appear that FreeBSD's free(3) isn't the main issue here; I built
> an image with the patch, and the performance is about the same as before.

Hmm.  Just checking,

- did you try that with or without ISC_MEM_USE_INTERNAL_MALLOC (or
  both)?  After re-checking the patch, I noticed it was not effective
  when ISC_MEM_USE_INTERNAL_MALLOC is enabled.  (sorry, this was my
  bad again).

- did you see the long period to shutdown the server even just after
  starting it?  If the bottleneck is not really in the memory
  management but in that code traversing the DB structure, the problem
  should occur even if the server does no actual work (i.e., only just

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp