sending notifies from slave server

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed Oct 6 15:20:53 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 10/06/2004 02:37:59 AM:
> Hai,
>   I am using bind 9.2.1 in my debian system and it
> works well both in master & slave servers.
>
> When the zone transfer completes, I was noticed that "
> zone abc.com/IN: sending notifies (serial 11) " &
> zone 211.19.20.in-addr.arpa/IN: sending notifies
> (serial 11) " in the slave server.
>     Generally the primary server will send a
> notification and the slave servers will accept. But
> why slave servers send a notification? To whom it will
> send?

By default named will send notifies to all name servers listed in the NS
RR set for a given zone, except for the name server listed in the dname
field of the SOA RR, regardless of whether named loaded the zone as a
master or slave.  This behavior is driven by RFC 1996.

You probably don't want the slave(s) sending the notify.  Use the
following zone syntax to turn this behavior off:

zone "foo.net"{
        type slave;
        file "foo.net.db";
        masters{192.168.1.10;};
        notify no;
};

Notice the use of "notify no;".  This statement turns off notify for this
zone.  Read the BIND ARM for details regarding other notify tweaking
features such as "also-notify" and "notify-source-..."

hth,

Dave...