Problem with secondary DNS not responding on lookups

Ronald I. Nutter ronald_nutter at georgetowncollege.edu
Mon Oct 25 20:42:49 UTC 2004

I am running Bind 9.2.2 on RH EL3.  I am trying to use the following
template that I got from
http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-bind.template.html.  When I put
this named.conf in place, I can get any dns resolution to take place.  I
tried using nslookup on the local machine as well as the primary dns
server, pointing it to the linux box I am working on,  neither system
will resolve anything I give it.  If I go back to my old file, it works
but I am a wide open dns system for the world.  I have retyped the
config file.  The only error I am getting on startup is that there are
no records in the 0.0.127.in-addr-arpa file, which there arent at this
point.  Named does start up and stay running but I can resolve anything
against it.  I am trying to put up a secondary DNS system that will be
as safe as can be reasonably done.  I would appreciate any pointers
based on my file here as to where the problem is or how to do further
troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Ron

acl "xfer" {
        none;
        68.208.176.3/32;
};

acl "trusted" {
        68.208.176.0/24;
        68.208.177.0/24;
        localhost;
};

acl "bogon" {
        0.0.0.0/8;
        1.0.0.0/8;
        2.0.0.0/8;
        5.0.0.0/8;
        7.0.0.0/8;
        10.0.0.0/8;
        23.0.0.0/8;
        27.0.0.0/8;
        31.0.0.0/8;
        36.0.0.0/8;
        37.0.0.0/8;
        39.0.0.0/8;
        41.0.0.0/8;
        42.0.0.0/8;
        49.0.0.0/8;
        50.0.0.0/8;
        73.0.0.0/8;
        74.0.0.0/8;
        75.0.0.0/8;
        76.0.0.0/8;
        77.0.0.0/8;
        78.0.0.0/8;
        79.0.0.0/8;
        89.0.0.0/8;
        90.0.0.0/8;
        91.0.0.0/8;
        92.0.0.0/8;
        93.0.0.0/8;
        94.0.0.0/8;
        95.0.0.0/8;
        96.0.0.0/8;
        97.0.0.0/8;
        98.0.0.0/8;
        99.0.0.0/8;
        100.0.0.0/8;
        101.0.0.0/8;
        102.0.0.0/8;
        103.0.0.0/8;
        104.0.0.0/8;
        105.0.0.0/8;
        106.0.0.0/8;
        107.0.0.0/8;
        108.0.0.0/8;
        109.0.0.0/8;
        110.0.0.0/8;
        111.0.0.0/8;
        112.0.0.0/8;
        113.0.0.0/8;
        114.0.0.0/8;
        115.0.0.0/8;
        116.0.0.0/8;
        117.0.0.0/8;
        118.0.0.0/8;
        119.0.0.0/8;
        120.0.0.0/8;
        121.0.0.0/8;
        122.0.0.0/8;
        123.0.0.0/8;
        124.0.0.0/8;
        125.0.0.0/8;
        126.0.0.0/8;
        169.254.0.0/16;
        172.16.0.0/12;
        173.0.0.0/8;
        174.0.0.0/8;
        175.0.0.0/8;
        176.0.0.0/8;
        177.0.0.0/8;
        178.0.0.0/8;
        179.0.0.0/8;
        180.0.0.0/8;
        181.0.0.0/8;
        182.0.0.0/8;
        183.0.0.0/8;
        184.0.0.0/8;
        185.0.0.0/8;
        186.0.0.0/8;
        187.0.0.0/8;
        189.0.0.0/8;
        190.0.0.0/8;
        192.0.2.0/24;
        192.168.0.0/16;
        197.0.0.0/8;
        223.0.0.0/8;
        224.0.0.0/8;
};

logging {

        channel "default_syslog" {
        // send most of the named messages to syslog
        syslog local2;
        severity debug;
        };

        channel "audit_log" {
        // send security related messages to a seperate file
        file "/var/named/named.log";
        severity debug;
        print-time yes;
        };

        category default { default_syslog; };
        category general { default_syslog; };
        category security { audit_log; default_syslog; };
        category config { default_syslog; };
        category resolver { audit_log; };
        category xfer-in { audit_log; };
        category xfer-out { audit_log; };
        category notify { audit_log; };
        category client { audit_log; };
        category network { audit_log; };
        category update { audit_log; };
        category queries { audit_log; };
        category lame-servers { audit_log; };

};

// Set options for security
options {
        directory "/var/named";
        pid-file "/var/named/named.pid";
        statistics-file "/var/named/named.stats";
        // memstatistics-file "/var/named/named.memstats";
        dump-file "/var/adm/named.dump";
        zone-statistics yes;

        // Prevent DoS attacks by generating bogus zone transfer
        // requests.  This will result in slower updates to the
        // slave servers (e.g. they will await the poll interval
        // before checking for updates).
        notify no;

        // Generate more efficient zone transfers.  This will place
        // multiple DNS records in a DNS message, instead of one per
        // DNS message.
        transfer-format many-answers;

        // Set the maximum zone transfer time to something more
        // reasonable. In this case, we state that any zone transfer
        // that takes longer than 60 minutes is unlikely to ever
        // complete.  WARNING:  If you have very large zone files,
        // adjust this to fit your requirements.
        max-transfer-time-in 60;

        // We have no dynamic interfaces, so BIND shouldn't need to
        // poll for interfaces state {UP|DOWN}.
        interface-interval 0;

        allow-transfer {
                // Zone transfers limited to members of the
                // "xfer" ACL.
                xfer;
        };

        allow-query {
                // Accept queries from our "trusted" ACL.  We will
                // allow anyone to query our master zones below.
                //  This prevents us from becoming a free DNS server
                // to the masses.
                trusted;
        };

        blackhole {
                // Deny anything to the bogon networks as
                // detailed in the "bogon" ACL.
                bogon;
        };
};

view "internal-in" in {
        // Our internal (trusted) view.  We permit the internal networks
        // to freely access this view.  We perform recursion for our
        // internal hosts, and retrieve data from the cache for them.

        match-clients { trusted; };
        recursion yes;
        additional-from-auth yes;
        additional-from-cache yes;

        zone "." in {
                // Link in the root server hint file
                type hint;
                file "db.cache";
        };

        zone "0.0.127.in-addr-arpa" in {
                // Allow queries for the 127/8 network, but no some zone
transfers
                // Every name server, both slave and master, will be a
master
                // for this zone.
                type master;
                file "db.127.0.0";

                allow-query {
                        any;
                };

                allow-transfer {
                        none;
                };
        };
};

// Create a view for external DNS clients
view "external-in" in {
        // Our external (untrusted) view.  We permit any client to
access
        // portions of this view.  We do not perform recursion or cache
        // access for hosts using this view.

        match-clients { any; };
        recursion no;
        additional-from-auth no;
        additional-from-cache no;

        zone "georgetowncollege.edu" in {
                type slave;
                file "georgetowncollege.edu.bk";
                masters { 68.208.176.2; };

                allow-query { any; };
        };

        zone "ethic.org" in {
                type slave;
                file "ethic.org.bk";
                masters { 68.208.176.2; };

                allow-query { any; };
        };

        zone "fskentucky.org" in {
                type slave;
                file "fskentucky.org.bk";
                masters { 68.208.176.2; };

                allow-query { any; };
        };

        zone "gfumc.com" in {
                type slave;
                file "gfumc.com.bk";
                masters { 68.208.176.2; };

                allow-query { any; };
        };

        zone "kacrao.com" in {
                type slave;
                file "kacrao.com.bk";
                masters { 68.208.176.2; };

                allow-query { any; };
        };

        zone "ka4kyi.com" in {
                type slave;
                file "ka4kyi.com.bk";
                masters { 68.208.176.2; };

                allow-query { any; };
        };

        zone "nacu.org" in {
                type slave;
                file "nacu.org.bk";
                masters { 68.208.176.2; };

                allow-query { any; };
        };

        zone "signsofhistory.com" in {
                type slave;
                file "signsofhistory.com.bk";
                masters { 68.208.176.2; };

                allow-query { any; };
        };

        zone "themeetinghouse.net" in {
                type slave;
                file "themeetinghouse.net.bk";
                masters { 68.208.176.2; };

                allow-query { any; };
        };
};

// Create a view for all clients perusing the CHAOS class.
// We allow interal hosts to query our version number.
// This is a good idea for support point of view.

view "external-chaos" chaos {
        match-clients { any; };
        recursion no;

        zone "." {