9.3.0 and ipv6 on linux 2.4.27

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Oct 21 23:54:45 UTC 2004

> * Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org>:
> > 	Complain to the Linux IPv6 stack developers.  Every other OS
> > 	extended their sysctl()/ioctl() methods of interface scanning.
> > 	Linux is the only platform where the developers felt the need
> > 	to do this through the file system.
>
> Where's the problem with using getaddrinfo(3) to get the IP list?

	I think you meant getifaddrs(3).  getifaddrs(3) is a wrapper
	around socket(2), sysctl(2), ioctl(2), close(2) and now
	open(2) and read(2).  It was designed to hide the OS specific
	details from application developers.

	named uses getifaddrs(3) if it is available and it supports
	IPv6.  Otherwise we do it the hard way.

	getifaddrs(3) won't save you if the IPv6 stack developers
	havn't provided a non file system method to get the interface
	addresses.  AFAIK the only way to get the list of interface
	addresses under Linux is to use the file system either directly
	or via getifaddrs(3).

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC