AW: always allowing update from localhost

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 21 22:30:38 UTC 2004

Are you responding to Dave Botham's post or Mark Andrews'? If you use
Mark's suggestion to select views by TSIG key, then I don't see why
you'd have to define all of your zones in both views. If you want to
update (or AXFR, or query) a zone in the internal view, you'd sign the
Dynamic Update with the TSIG key that corresponds to "internal"; if you
want to update (or AXFR, or query) a zone in the external view, you'd
sign it with the TSIG key that corresponds to "external". This should
keep your named.conf from getting too _unuebersichtlich_.

Even without the TSIG-key approach, I suppose there's the possibility of
bringing up a virtual interface on your box and addressing it with
something that would match the "external" view. You could then use that
as a source address for your updates/AXFRs/queries whenever you wanted
to select the "external" view...

                                 - Kevin