(no subject)

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 21:17:29 UTC 2004

Larry Adamiec <ladamiec at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have attempted in install 9.3.0 on a Solaris 9 Sparc
> server.
>
> The following error was logged:
> 21-Oct-2004 14:11:11.368 general: error: zone
> kentlaw.edu/IN: loading master file kentlaw.hosts: bad
> owner name (check-names)
>
> I believe this error was caused by hyphens in some
> records in the zone file such as:
>
> 120009eb-0e85-4408-938a-12a0f993b35f CNAME
> dcsec.kentlaw.edu.
>
> Is there any workaround for this?  There is no way to
> delete the hyphens from these records.

Put a check-names in the options section of your named.conf, eg

    check-names master warn;
or
    check-names master ignore;

but try warn first :-/  (there's also "check-names slave ..." for your
secondary servers)

However (single) hyphens are OK in domain names, it's more likely
underscores behind this.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for