AXFR does not look at Domain name

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 29 20:03:02 UTC 2004

In article <co481k$2t7s$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Swapna Prasad <swapna56782004 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I do a AXFR zone Transfer to get the list of hosts in my domain. The way I do
> is I connect to the DNS Server in my domain on port 53 using TCP. Then send a
> DNS query as specified by RFC1034(header,question,response...etc). the
> question section takes domain name, class, type etc. I get the
> response...everything works fine.
>
>       But I found that it does not look at the Domain name field at all. What
>       ever the value in the domain name field it does the zone transfer of
>       the zone records present in the DNS server to which it is I have
>       connected. Is this the way it has to work or am I doing something
>       wrong.

This makes little sense.  Most nameservers host more than one zone (e.g.
both forward and reverse zones, and also frequently a zone for
127.in-addr.arpa).  It has to look at the name in the query section to
determine which one of these zones to return.

What happens if you use "dig" rather than your own tool?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA