What is named.run?

Daniel Rudy 5n6o7.8d9c0r1u2d3y4.5s6p7a8m9 at 0e1m2a3i4l5.6p7a8c9b0e1l2l3.4i5n6v7a8l9i0d1.2n3e4t5
Fri Nov 26 04:50:09 UTC 2004

At about the time of 11/23/2004 2:27 PM, Bill Larson stated the following:

> On Nov 23, 2004, at 7:52 AM, Daniel Rudy wrote:
>

>>At about the time of 11/22/2004 4:27 PM, Kevin Darcy stated the
>>following:

>>>That's where named writes its debug output. My assumption would be
>>>that
>>>you have debug turned on in the startup.
>>
>>I have the d1 option on the command line, so in case something goes
>>wrong, I can look back and see what happened.  I went through the
>>logging config, created different logging channels, and directed them
>>syslog local facilies.  So the output is either to one of the 3 syslog
>>facilites or to /dev/null.  Now if there is a message category that is
>>not in the man page, I don't know what it would be.  Unless of course I
>>missed a category...
>

> How about the "default_debug" category that is used when "named" starts
> up when the debug level isn't set to zero.  (Look at the BIND ARM.)
>
> Your "named" process will do some logging, at least opening up the log
> file, before "named" reads the configuration file where the location is
> reset to your desired location.  Setting the debug level causes logging
> to "named.run" when "named" starts and won't be redirected until the
> configuration file is read.
>
> Bill Larson

Ah, so that is what's going on.

Thanks.
--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been encoded to reduce spam.
Remove all numbers, then remove invalid, email, no, and spam to reply.