blocked DNS query

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Nov 29 15:16:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:01:46AM -0500,
 kaiduan xie <kaiduanx at yahoo.ca> wrote
 a message of 53 lines which said:

> Actually there is a resolver library ARES from MIT.

OK, so you actually have a question about the use of the ARES library,
not about BIND or about the DNS. Correct?

> The gethostbyname() call is synchrous.

gethostbyname has been deprecated in the last century :-) See "man
getaddrinfo" or RFC 3493.

> I want to know the case where from the user's point of view, the DNS
> query is blocked.

I'm afraid I do not understand more this time. It seems a very
ARES-specific question and I never used this library.