DNS ROOT understanding

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 19 13:19:49 UTC 2004

In article <cnjlfq$kb5$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> >    JR> The circumstances you describe are not those of a well behaved
> >    JR> DNS setup.
> >
> >    Jonathan> Also wrong. The DNS setup described is behaving exactly
> >    Jonathan> as it should.
> >
> >No it isn't. It's broken. The clients are asking for a non-existent
> >name in a bogus top-level domain. That by definition cannot be a well
> >behaved DNS setup.
> >
> Well, Jim, I don't know how you make DNS *clients* "behave", according
> to whatever definition you're using. Do you post an overseer at
> everyone's PC to stop them from typing "nslookup localhost.localdomain"
> at the command-line?

Users generally can't type commands like that frequently enough to cause
any kind of performance impact.  If you're getting so many queries for
nonexistent TLDs that you need to do something, it's almost certainly
coming from an application in a loop.

So you turn on query logging, see where these weird queries are coming
from, and tell the user of that system to fix/stop the application.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA