Advice for personal dns server

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard at Tesco.NET
Thu Nov 18 04:42:51 UTC 2004

A> The OS will be one of the BSD's or Linuxes (I will pick the one that
A> runs the fastest and most stable on the Sparc).

Here's a wild thought:  You could always run Solaris.

A> Is Bind a good choice for me?

You're posting in a discussion forum dedicated to BIND.  What answer, to
that question, do you *think* you are going to receive?

A> What is most important in terms of hardware? cpu? memory?

First: It's complex.  Second: You forgot "network".

A> If anyone can point me to some quick reads/faq's/howto's, [...]

First, learn about the wide range of DNS softwares that there is.

<URL:http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/other.html>
<URL:http://maradns.org./dns_software.html>

Neither of these lists are anywhere near complete.  Amusingly, neither
includes the fourth most popular (for content DNS service) DNS server
software: Microsoft's DNS server.

A> I woul appreciate it, because I really couldn't find any.

Look harder.

<URL:http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/run-cache.html>
<URL:http://ntcanuck.com./>
<URL:http://maradns.org./tutorial/recursive.html>