Bind 9, Wildcard Records and Road Runner

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard at Tesco.NET
Fri Nov 12 04:44:19 UTC 2004

PV> ...  the whole process takes less than one second, [...]
PV> note that this is a BIND-specific solution, [...]

AE> So even with a very large number of zones (hundreds of thousands,
AE> if not millions) this process would still take less than a second?

PV> regrettably, it will get slower as you get beyond 10000 to 20000
PV> zones, and even getting that far will require segmentation of your
PV> named.conf file into "include" files. you'd need DLZ, [...]

... or one of those non-BIND solutions that you studiously avoided
mentioning, such as "djbdns", PowerDNS, MaraDNS, NSD, and so forth,
which don't have the problems of having to parse tens of thousands of
zone files.  (Anthony might be interested to learn that not all TLDs use
BIND, by the way.  I know of one TLD that uses "djbdns", for example.)

Don't believe the blurb on the DLZ website, by the way.  It paints a
grossly distorted picture in order to make itself look good.  The
non-BIND solutions are far from "basic", and support all of the resource
records that BIND does.  And as I mentioned, they are in wide use in
equivalent situations.  Always be suspicious of something or someone
that chants the "BIND is the standard." mantra, as the DLZ blurb does.
BIND, as the ISC's own web site clearly states, is a *reference
implementation*.  That's not the same as a standard.