issue getting response from some gtld servers

Will Yardley &- at no.spam.veggiechinese.net
Fri Nov 12 14:04:42 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-12, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 07:23:43AM -0600,
>  Will Yardley <&- at no.spam.veggiechinese.net> wrote:

>> aura% dig @a.gtld-servers.net net. soa
>>
>> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.3rc3 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net net. soa
>> ;; global options:  printcmd
>> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>
> a.gtld-servers (as well as B) now has an IPv6 address. Your IPv6
> routing seems down.
>
> With a recent dig (> 9.2 ?), you can use the -4 option to force
> IPv4. Or you can either fix IPv6 or disable it.

Gah. I guess this is the cause of some of my weird hangs in Mozilla too.
Doing a quick google, it would seem that on FreeBSD, setting:
net.inet6.ip6.v6only to 0 /should/ resolve this problem (by checking the
ip4 IP first), but doesn't seem to fix it for me. I have no intention of
having an IPv6 connection on any of these machines any time soon, but it
seems a bit annoying to have to completely remove ipv6 support just to
"fix" this.

I guess putting "-4" in .digrc will do the trick.

A bit OT for this forum, but do I have any options on FreeBSD or OpenBSD
other than rebuilding the kernel / OS without ipv6 support?