Reverse Delegation

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Wed Nov 3 20:53:33 UTC 2004

We just started using a new ISP for connectivity at our offices.  They're
a reseller of another, national ISP.

I'm trying to get them to set up delegation of reverse DNS for our
network.  I believe the reseller has some access to the larger ISPs DNS
systems so that they can set up PTR records or CNAMEs in the in-addr.arpa
zones for their customers.  I'm not sure that they can create NS records
to delegate subzones, however.

Instead of them doing a fairly standard RFC 2317 delegation, as we've
always done with our providers

0-26    IN NS ns1.mydomain.com.
        IN NS ns2.mydomain.com.
$ORIGIN .
0       IN CNAME 0.0-26.95.104.199.in-addr.arpa.
1       IN CNAME 1.0-26.95.104.199.in-addr.arpa.
2       IN CNAME 1.0-26.95.104.199.in-addr.arpa.
etc.

would the following, without creating a delegated subzone, work just as
well, or are there potential problems?

$ORIGIN .
0       IN CNAME 0-officenet.mydomain.com.
1       IN CNAME 1-officenet.mydomain.com.
2       IN CNAME 2-officenet.mydomain.com.
etc.