NS is an Alias problem????

kogger foup at alcor.concordia.ca
Wed Nov 3 13:50:29 UTC 2004

(my apologies if this ends up being a double post)
Hello all,

I'm new to DNS and BIND.  I'm trying to get my NS boxes to be
authoritative.  I've relied on O'Reilly's "DNS and BIND" book by Paul
Albitz to help me learn the initial in and outs, but I still cannot get
my NS boxes to work properly.

ns2.finearts.concordia.ca is a Unix system running BIND 8.3.7. (master)
ns1.finearts.concordia.ca is a win2k system running MS DNS. (slave)

Locally everything seems to work great (mostly because I use my own DNS
server directly).  But outside of my network I cannot get
digitalcitieswproject.net to resolve properly.  The only thing I can
find in my log files are the following lines:

[log messages]
>> named[555]: NS 'ns2.finearts.concordia.ca' for
>> '114.205.132.in-addr.arpa/IN' is a CNAME
>> named[555]: NS 'ns2.finearts.concordia.ca' for '0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN'
>> is a CNAME
>> named[555]: NS 'ns1.finearts.concordia.ca' for
>> 'digitalcitiesproject.net/IN' is a CNAME

Would this be the cause of the problem?  The DNS names ns1 and ns2 are
given to me by another BIND server. Would asking them to be changed to A
records solve my problem?

Just in case this isn't it I'm adding some of my configs below (trimmed
for convenience).  I would appreciate any advice.

Many Thanks.

[ping result from outside of network]
> Ping request could not find host digitalcitiesproject.net. Please check
> the name and try again.

[nslookup result from outside of network]
> *** nscott11.bellnexxia.net can't find digitalcitiesproject.net: Server
> failed
> Server:  nscott11.bellnexxia.net
> Address:  198.235.216.111

[files used]