domain name entries in a zone

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri May 28 18:48:53 UTC 2004

Preston Wade wrote:

> I would like to start some conversations around valid domain name =
> entries in a zone file.  It would seem to me that out of the more common =
> records the only valid entries for a domain name would be a SOA record, =
> some MX records and some NS records.  We have several customers that =
> would like an A record for the domain name.
As Jim says CNAMEs are a no-no.

But A records for the domain are common, the "www" was a silly convention.

Most of the webservers I work with have a standing Apache rule that any
domain part starting "www." should be stripped so that A records for the
domain work without us having to reconfigure Apache separately for each
domain.

 Simon

--
 http://info.thyroidpatients.org/