domain name entries in a zone

Preston Wade Preston_Wade at hilton.com
Fri May 28 16:42:11 UTC 2004

Hello All,

I would like to start some conversations around valid domain name =
entries in a zone file.  It would seem to me that out of the more common =
records the only valid entries for a domain name would be a SOA record, =
some MX records and some NS records.  We have several customers that =
would like an A record for the domain name.  So that when some enters =
foo.com in the browser the user would actually get to the web site.  =
Some customers would even like a CNAME record for the domain name, so =
that they could have a primary domain and have other domains CNAME to =
the primary domain.  I have tested this in BIND 9 and it doesn't seem to =
like the CNAME record for a domain.  I have found very little about this =
topic on the web so I figured this list could provide me some direction.

Thanks,
Preston