Intermittent Issue Resolving External Domains

Joel M Nimety jnimety at cybergnostic.com
Thu May 27 14:21:24 UTC 2004

Thanks Dave --

We were having a *lot* of dns issues about a month ago (bind issues
every few hours, we had to resort to restarting bind via cron at regular
intervals) and narrowed it down to the same issue with our checkpoint
firewall.  We made the appropriate changes on the firewall and bind has
been running 95% better.

Also, 9.2.4rc2 doesn't allow "edns-udp-size".  I'd like to verify
exactly what the issue is before I start blindly upgrading.  Any ideas
on how to verify that this is the problem?

One of the big problems I have is that the unresolvable domain is rarely
the same so we can't actively test to see if the problem is starting
again.  We have to wait for one of our mail servers to start bouncing
with "invalid domain" (for obviously valid domains) before we can react.
  By that time it is affecting our customers.

  -- Joel