Windows XP Resolver Question

tnaves at linkwest.net tnaves at linkwest.net
Wed May 26 22:10:56 UTC 2004

I can't get a good definition of some of the terms used in the Windows XP
dns resolver.

If my host is on a domain named mydomain.com my primary suffix will be
mydomain.com right?  Now when I try to resolve a host name my unqualified
name e.g., host, my resolver will append mydomain.com to the hostname and
resolve it in dns.  Right?

In Windows XP, where you put the Pirmary DNS suffix of this computer,
there is a box that is labeled "Change primary DNS suffix when domain
membership changes."  Does this refer to a Windows Domain?

In the Advanced DNS settings by default, it is set to Append primary and
connectin specific DNS suffixes.  What is a connection specific suffix?

There is also a selection called Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS
suffix.  This would only apply if I was in a subdomain such as
mydept.mydomin.com correct?  Then if I try to resolve a hosname such as
host then the resolver would first append mydept.mydomain
(host.mydept.mydomain.com) and failing that it would append mydomain.com
(host.mydomain.com) and try to resolve it.  Correct?

Any advise will be appreciated.

Tom Naves