Help installing Bind 9.2.3 on Solaris 9 Sparc

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon May 24 22:07:01 UTC 2004

Mark Voss <voss001 at yahoo.com.not4spam> wrote:
> I have downloaded Bind 9.2.3 to install on a Solaris 9 box running on
> Sparc.  I previously installed OpenSSL.  THe entire build goes fine.
> However, after doing a make install, nothing is installed.  There are
> no new binaries anywhere and when  in.named runs it is my old version
> 8.n running.

> Am I overlooking something ?  When I build bind on Linux or such it
> sets up /var/named and the files, /etc/named.conf, and everything
> else.  FYI, I installed from /tmp.

Look in the Makefile, probably installs in /usr/local/*

You have two choices : manualy overwrite suns bind 'in.named'
and the corresponding binaries "nslookup dig and host"
or
adjust the startupscript ( /etc/init.d/named ?) to start you /usr/local/* bind.

Whatever you do will make you vulnerable for future updates from sun
so keep the build-directory and notes what you did. ( scripting
this process will give you a quick restore in the event some patch
will overwrite your stuff, in addition you might find it convenient
to update another sun with the script)

--
Peter Håkanson