one machine two domians

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Thu May 20 12:37:42 UTC 2004

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <rmvg at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Have read and reread the DNS and BIND book for the last couple of days

Good, that should help :)

> and decided to rewrite my db files without abbreviation ma bey i will
> abbreviate when i fully understand.  Have gotten computerking.ca and

It is useful to use dig to do a zone-transfer from your nameservers,
to see what they've constructed internally from reading the zone files.
For example try something like

  dig @68.146.233.221 computerking.ca. axfr

or use the internal (192.168) address of the server, or 127.0.0.1
should work if you are logged in to that server.

> sculpturaldesign.ca domains to work fairly well however i cannot get the
> shoemasters.computerking.ca to work externally it works fine internally
> but i get
>
> Server:  v21.highcoup.ca
> Address:  198.53.146.238
>
> *** v21.highcoup.ca can't find shoemasters.computerking.ca: Non-existent
> host/domain
>
> when i look for it from a remote server

In the shoemasters.computerking.ca. zone file, you list ns1.highcoup.ca
(which also has address 198.53.146.238) as one of the nameservers for
that zone, but ns1.highcoup.ca doesn't seem to have a copy of the zone.
Have you set up a master/slave config between
ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca (68.144.231.38) and ns1.highcoup.ca?

> Do i need to list the shoemasters.computerking.ca in the A records for
> the internal network ie the db.192.168.0 file should not have too
> because it is not internal right? That would also make one less file to
> change if my ip changes.  Probably i should just remove the commented
> out line right??

> 202.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.             IN PTR
> mail1.computerking.ca.
> ;68.144.231.38.in-addr.arpa.            IN PTR
> shoemasters.computerking.ca.

Yes, there's no point having that record there, wrong zone.

> I have a IN PTR record for my db.68.146.233 file on computerking.ca
> machine also i have a IN PTR record for computerking.ca on the
> shoemasters machine
>
> 221.233.146.68.in-addr.arpa.            IN PTR          computerking.ca.
> 221.233.146.68.in-addr.arpa.            IN PTR          sculpturaldesign.ca.
> 38.231.144.68.in-addr.arpa.             IN PTR
> shoemasters.computerking.ca.

No, that last record should not be there, wrong zone.

I'll point out again that 233.146.68.in-addr.arpa. is not delegated
to you, not even 221.233.146.68.in-addr.arpa.  From the outside, I see

  dig -x 68.146.233.221

  221.233.146.68.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR S0106000475a15334.cg.shawcable.net.

  233.146.68.in-addr.arpa. IN NS ns2so.cg.shawcable.net.
  233.146.68.in-addr.arpa. IN NS ns4so.cg.shawcable.net.
  233.146.68.in-addr.arpa. IN NS ns1so.cg.shawcable.net.

The same goes for 38.231.144.68.in-addr.arpa. and
238.146.53.198.in-addr.arpa. (different ISP).

If you want your reverse zones and PTRs to be seen by everyone else,
you'll need to get ShawCable and Telus/TAC to delegate them to you.
They won't give you the whole zone, as you probably have only one
IP address in each, yes?  They might delegate the single IP address,
in which case you'll need to change your reverse setup to be for
just the individual IP address (zone names etc).

> Have added a A record an a name sever entry  for  the
> shoemasters.computerking.ca domain on computerking.ca machine however
> kinda confused about the NS record for shoemasters.computerking.ca is
> this correct??

> shoemasters.computerking.ca.    IN NS
> ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.

> shoemasters.computerking.ca.    IN A            68.144.231.38

That doesn't look right: you shouldn't have an NS record for shoemasters
*and* that A record for it in this zone.  The NS record says it is a
delegated zone.  You want something like

  shoemasters.computerking.ca.     IN NS ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.
  ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca. IN A  68.144.231.38

That A record for ns1.shoemasters is "glue", because the real A record
for ns1.shoemasters is inside the shoemasters.computerking.ca zone itself.

Also, the NS records you have for shoemasters in the computerking.ca
zone should match the NS records in the shoemasters zone, as below.

> have mostly the same stuff on the shoemasters.computerking.ca machine
> here is the db.shoemasters.computerking.ca.external
>
> ; NAME SERVERS (the name @ is implied)
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> shoemasters.computerking.ca.            IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.
> shoemasters.computerking.ca.            IN NS
> ns1.shoemasters.computerking.

You're missing ca. on the end there.

> shoemasters.computerking.ca.            IN NS           ns1.highcoup.ca.

OK, you need to set up master/slave config between ns1.shoemasters
and the other two to copy the shoemasters.computerking.ca zone to them.

> computerking.ca.                        IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.

That record shouldn't be there, wrong zone.

> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ; MAIL EXCHANGERS
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> computerking.ca.shoemasters.                IN MX           10
> mail1.shoemasters.comp

Missing stuff on the end again.

> computerking.ca.shoemasters.                IN MX           20
> mail1.computerking.ca.
> computerking.ca.shoemasters.                IN MX           30
> mail1.highcoup.ca.

You've put shoemasters in the wrong place in those three records;
should all start shoemasters.computerking.ca.

> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ; ADDRESSES FOR THE CANOCICAL NAMES ( A records)
> ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> shoemasters.computerking.ca.            IN A            68.144.231.38
> v20.shoemasters.computerking.ca.        IN A            68.144.231.38
> ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.        IN A            68.144.231.38
> mail1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.      IN A            68.144.231.38
> computerking.ca.                        IN A            68.146.233.221

That last record should not be there, wrong zone.

> Should i add another zone for shoemasters.computerking.ca I did not
> think it was nessarsary because it is in the same domain right??

Well that's up to you, but from the above I thought you wanted it as
a separate zone!  You could have all the shoemasters records in the
computerking.ca zone, in which case you'd need to get rid of the
NS and SOA records for shoemasters.computerking.ca and just move the
various A, MX, and CNAME records into the computerking.ca zone file.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for