RoundRobin question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 20 00:54:58 UTC 2004

William Stacey wrote:

>Same question.  How would you define that in the db and when would this ever
>be useful?

Theoretically, it's useful for caching resolvers to distinguish between
NXDOMAIN and NODATA responses, since an NXDOMAIN negative response
applies to that node and everything beneath it. So, for example, if
hairy.ape.com gets an NXDOMAIN, then there's no point in querying
big.hairy.ape.com until the negative cache entry for hairy.ape.com
expires. I don't know whether any caching resolvers actually implement
this logic, however. But it's there to be used.

As for how one defines empty nodes in the database, I'm not sure whether
you're asking what *resource*records* give rise to empty nodes (which
Barry already described) or how BIND's internal data structures
represent an empty node. If the latter, I'd recommend asking the BIND
developers...

                                          - Kevin