Help - name server record problem at bind 8 and bind 9

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 19 06:25:03 UTC 2004

In article <c8et0m$93a$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Alex Tang" <alextang at cms.hkcable.com> wrote:

> > The zone record which is stored at the name server of =
> aplus-beto.com.tw is
> > =20
> > > server 211.23.229.58
> > Default Server:  [211.23.229.58]
> > Address:  211.23.229.58
> > > set q=3Dns
> > > aplus-beto.com.tw.
> > Server:  [211.23.229.58]
> > Address:  211.23.229.58
> > aplus-beto.com.tw       nameserver =3D ibmserver

That record is incorrect.  First of all, the name is missing the domain
suffix; they wrote:

@ IN NS ibmserver.

when they meant to write:

@ IN NS ibmserver

Putting "." at the end of a name means it's fully qualified, so the
origin is not appended.

Second, they need to list *all* the nameservers in the NS records on the
master server, not just one server.

BIND 8 and 9 differ in the way they make use of the authority records
that come from the authoritative server.  But the real problem is on the
authoritative servers, this is just differences in the ways that other
servers deal with the error.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA