Caching only nameserver fails to resolve external zones periodically

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue May 18 08:00:43 UTC 2004

    Curtis> Please, there is no need to get angry.  I have tried to
    Curtis> post as much information as possible, as far as my
    Curtis> understanding of the problem goes.  There is no need to
    Curtis> belittle my lack of knowledge on the subject

You are not being belittled. However I was and am complaining about
your lack of common sense. Like suggesting BIND is broken -- it runs
on ~80% of the world's name servers, including most of the root
servers -- instead of your DNS configuration. And this is *after* you
were told your DNS setup was broken and how to troubleshoot it. BIND
works for the rest of the world just fine but somehow won't work for
you. Is that BIND's fault or yours? Think about this. Hint: you've
been told what's wrong with your setup and what to do about that.
The solution doesn't involve replacing BIND with something else.

    Curtis> Since restarting bind would cause it to function again, my
    Curtis> assumption was that perhaps the cache was maybe corrupted.
    Curtis> Is this not logical deductive reasoning and one possible
    Curtis> scenario a person might want to check when troubleshooting?

No, not when there are more obvious problem sources to eliminate
first: like your forwarding configuration. Which has now been
suggested to you at least twice.

    >>  Oh and trim your replies. We don't need to see your tcpdump of
    >> some DNS traffic over and over and over again.

    Curtis> First I don't include enough and then it's too much.  I
    Curtis> wish I had a crystal ball....  :-)

There is no need to post and repost screeds of useless data. For
instance including the whole text of any message you reply to. We've
already seen what has been said before. We don't need to see that
again, more so when it's 100+ lines of tcpdump that just tell us
something we already know.