bind9 on debian

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue May 18 02:39:37 UTC 2004

Gruff wrote:

>Hi
>
>Im currently tryign to setup BIND9 on my debian box. I install BIND9 via
>"apt-get install bind9".  Named starts fine, but I do not get a responce
>when I query the server, so im assuming I must have my configuration files
>wrong. hopefully someone will spot my mistakes? as you can see, I have added
>test.com which im using as a test.

What exactly do you mean by "do not get a responce [sic] when I query
the server"? Do you get an *error* response, or does it just time out?
If it times out, then check out your /etc/resolv.conf to verify that
you're actually sending queries to the correct address, and check that
the nameserver is listening on that address. Failing that, turn on query
logging to verify that the nameserver is actually seeing the query.

If you're getting some sort of error response, then please tell us what
it is. It's a little hard to troubleshoot otherwise. Note that if you
haven't set up reverse lookup for the address of your nameserver, then
that is going to present problems for the "nslookup" utility. This is
one of the many reasons why "dig" is a preferred lookup tool.

                                                            - Kevin