Outgoing DNS requests

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Tue May 18 02:21:42 UTC 2004

chrisf wrote:
> I have a DNS server that is making a large number of outgoing requests to
> the same IP address.  I also see weird stuff in the logs which are shown
> below.  Our firewall is showing a extremely large number of outgoing
> requests to the DNS port on a specific IP, but that IP address does not show
> up in any of our logs.  How can I go about pinpointing the problem?
>
> I don't know if the stuff in the logs below is related, but I thought it
> could possibly be helpful.  This server handles a good amount of incoming
> and outgoing mail and also secondary DNS for a few domains.

it might worth bogusing it if it is unreachable, bind doesn't log this
cases, even when your performance degrade drastically. It might be one
of the nameserver for certain domain, which is completely unreachable,
you might perhaps discover it from the query logs, sort,awk to get the
top domains requested...

Ladislav