rfc1034 3rd step question.

William Stacey staceyw at mvps.org
Mon May 17 22:54:06 UTC 2004

> You seem to have missed step 3b:
>          b. If a match would take us out of the authoritative data,
>             we have a referral.  This happens when we encounter a
>             node with NS RRs marking cuts along the bottom of a
>             zone.
>             Copy the NS RRs for the subzone into the authority
>             section of the reply.  Put whatever addresses are
>             available into the additional section, using glue RRs
>             if the addresses are not available from authoritative
>             data or the cache.  Go to step 4.
> The sub1.test.com NS record means that anything.sub1.test.com is out of
> this authoritative zone

True.  But aren't we still currently at label "www.sub1.test.com"?  We have
not looped yet to search for lable "sub1.test.com" to find the NS records?
Am I still missing something basic?  Do you march down the labels toward the
root looking for NS records 3b before starting again looking for
"*.sub1.test.com" in 3c.?  It would be cool if some kind sole could do a
pseudo code like in rfc 2136 for algorithum and the resolver logic.  I have
worked on it a bit for education purposes, but get stuck on some of these
questions.  Cheers!

Thanks Barry!

--
William Stacey