Please advice on making external zone visible on inside.

Fredrik Håkansson fredrik at spamme.younix.se
Sat May 15 06:19:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:14:36 -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Fredrik H=E5kansson wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 13 May 2004 15:26:29 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:
>>
>> =20
>>
>>>In article <c80g8b$ufj$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>>> Fredrik Hakansson <fredrik at spamme.younix.se> wrote:
>>>
>>>   =20

> al

>  the

> de.
> om
> ve
> ome

> ly

> ways
>>>>
>>>You could have the external nameserver move foo.zone.com into a separat=
> e=20
>>>zone, so that the NS records will match the expectations.
>>>   =20
>>>

>>Yes but just the thought of that there are NS pointers in the
>>external copy of zone.com that must never end up in internal name server=
>>caches makes me scared of doing this. I think that under normal
>>circumstances the NS records in the external zone.com file will never en=
>>up on the inside since the external name servers should only get questio=
> ns
>>about foo.zone.com. =20
>>
> Yes, if you have back-level caching nameservers, this form of cache=20
> poisoning *is* a valid concern. You might be able to kludge around it=20
> somewhat using the "minimal-responses" option of BIND 9, which will=20
> prevent it from putting unnecessary information into responses.=20
> Ultimately, though, I haven't found a good reliable way to deal with=20
> this issue, so I've built parallel-maintenance into all of my DNS update=20
> processes...
>
>                                                                         =20
>                                              - Kevin
Thanks for commenting!
What if we delegate the zone away to another external name-server. And the
server will only have foo.zone.com but not zone.com. It will of course
have external roots. This other server we have will get
recursive queries from stub resolvers so it will cache the NS pointers i
don't want to end up in the inside. So i guess there is a risk that it
might deliver additional data i don't want on my inside.

More comments are highly appreciated.