one machine two domians

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN rmvg at shaw.ca
Fri May 14 23:57:52 UTC 2004

Sorry about Thank you my Barry Margolin it was supposed to read thank
you to Barry Margolin just a typo dont anyone get the wrong idea.

Barry u are a genius read this mail all the way through before you try
to help me as i seem to have fixed all of the problems.  It was like you
said all i needed was to add the computerking.ca. A record still dont
quite understand why did the origin change somehow

Thanks again but i believe i already an A record for my computerking.ca
zone this is my db.computerking.ca.external file.  Should not the first
line after ; ADDRESSES FOR THE CANONICAL NAMES ( A records) act the same
as computerking.ca.  it is just a blank with no dot  or am i confused
about origins and need the computerking.ca. line that you propose

I added the line you proposed and now things seem to work again i do not
understand also if i had to add those lines do i not have to change my
NS records too the highcoup.ca is another server of my at a different
locaction thought i knew what was going on must have forgotten something
aurrrgggh too many changes to consider all at once.

computerking.ca.                          IN NS
ns1.computerking.ca.
                                                    IN NS
ns1.highcoup.ca.
shoemasters                                 IN NS
ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.

;==============================================================================
; /usr/local/etc/namedb/pz/db.computerking.ca.external
@v22.computerking.ca
;==============================================================================
$TTL 7200
;
; Origin added to the names not ending in a dot         computerking.ca
;
@ IN SOA computerking.ca. root.computerking.ca. (
        2004051401      ; serial
        10800           ; refresh after 3 hours(s)
        3600            ; retry after 1 hour(s)
        604800          ; expire after one week(s)
        3600 )          ; Negative caching TTL of 1 hour(s)

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; NAME SERVERS (the name @ is implied)
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.
                IN NS           ns1.highcoup.ca.
shoemasters     IN NS           ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; MAIL EXCHANGERS
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                IN MX           10 mail1.computerking.ca.
;               IN MX           15 mail1.computerking.ca.
                IN MX           20 mail1.highcoup.ca.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ADDRESSES FOR THE CANONICAL NAMES ( A records)
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;                IN A            68.146.233.221
computerking.ca.    IN A    68.146.233.221
v22             IN A            68.146.233.221
ns1             IN A            68.146.233.221
mail1           IN A            68.146.233.221
shoemasters     IN A            68.144.231.38

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ALIASES
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www                     IN CNAME        v22
v2                      IN CNAME        v22
mail                    IN CNAME        v22
sq                      IN CNAME        v22
;sculpturaldesign        IN CNAME        v22

;==============================================================================
;end of file

*>>>>>>>>>>>Would this work as a zone file for sculpturaldesign.ca* is
it ok to leave a blank for the A record or do i need to type
sculpturaldesign.ca.   IN A  68.146.233.221
I added the line and now it seems to display a web page but it not the
right one oh well i can fix that later

;==============================================================================
; /usr/local/etc/namedb/pz/db.sculpturaldesign.ca.external
@v22.computerking.ca
;==============================================================================
$TTL 7200
;
; Origin added to the names not ending in a dot         sculpturaldesign.ca
;
@ IN SOA sculpturaldesign.ca. root.sculpturaldesign.ca. (
        2004051402      ; serial
        10800           ; refresh after 3 hours(s)
        3600            ; retry after 1 hour(s)
        604800          ; expire after one week(s)
        3600 )          ; Negative caching TTL of 1 hour(s)

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; NAME SERVERS (the name @ is implied)
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.
                IN NS           ns1.highcoup.ca.
shoemasters     IN NS           ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; MAIL EXCHANGERS
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                IN MX           10 mail1.computerking.ca.
;               IN MX           15 mail1.computerking.shoemasters.ca.
                IN MX           20 mail1.highcoup.ca.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ADDRESSES FOR THE CANONICAL NAMES ( A records)
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;              IN A            68.146.233.221
sculpturaldesign.ca.   IN A       68.146.233.221
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ALIASES
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www                     IN CNAME        v22

;==============================================================================

*>>>>>>>>>>>>This is the reference in my named.conf file
*

view "external" {
        match-clients { any; };
        recursion no;

                zone "computerking.ca" {
                type master;
                file "pz/db.computerking.ca.external";
                };

                zone "sculpturaldesign.ca" {
                type master;
                file "pz/db.sculpturaldesign.ca.external";
                };

                zone "233.146.68.in-addr.arpa" {
                type master;
                file "pz/db.68.146.233";
                };

*>>>>>>>>>>>>I added a PTR record for sculpturaldesign.ca like below *
*Do I need a PTR record for computerking.ca like the one commented out
below because all i have is  the v22.computerking.ca record. *
;==============================================================================
; /usr/local/etc/namedb/pz/db.205.206.102     @v22.computerking.ca
;==============================================================================
$TTL 7200
;
;Origin added to names not ending in a dot 102.206.205.68.in-addr.arpa
;
@ IN SOA computerking.ca.       root.computerking.ca. (
        2004051503      ; serial
        10800           ; refresh after 3 hour
        3600            ; retry after 1 hour
        604800          ; expire ofter one week
        3600 )          ; Negative caching TTL of 1 hour

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; NAME SERVERS
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.
                IN NS           ns1.highcoup.ca.
shoemasters     IN NS           ns1.shoemasters.computerking.ca.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ADDRESSES POINT TO CANONICAL NAME
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;221             IN PTR          computerking.ca.
221             IN PTR          v22.computerking.ca.
221             IN PTR          sculpturaldesign.ca.

; end of file
;==============================================================================

since it is now its own zone is that why i get the same webpage for
computerking.ca and sculpturaldesign.ca now.

Ok everything seem to work great now however i have another question to
ask you i am setting up virtual email accounts for sculpturaldesign.ca
do i need an MX record for that domain.  As for the website can i put a
CNAME back for sculpturaldesign.ca so apache will know where to look or
is there another way now that sculpturaldesign has its own zone.

sorry about the length and confusion in this email please dont bounce me
off the list

PS THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU