request drops in BIND?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri May 14 06:59:08 UTC 2004

> But here is an important issue. If 178 bulk requests lead to no
> response from BIND sometimes, then can we say BIND is doing well?  I
> think the speed of 178 requests is happening every now and then in a
> reasonable sized community.  It becomes problematic to run an
> application which does very sensitive jobs depending on BIND's
> performance.

BIND8 and BIND9 are both used on root name servers, which handle thousands
of requests per second (each), including mixtures of large and small ones,
and including "packet trains" of more than 178 requests back-to-back.  if
your system is dropping queries under that load, it's due to bad kernel
design, or bad kernel tuning, or inadequate hardware resources.