failure with empty hints file on forward first

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu May 13 16:59:02 UTC 2004

Jeff Stevens <jstevens at vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> does bind require the named.ca (hints) file to be populated if
> forward first is used? it seems to fail for such a case, while forward
> only works...

forward first means ( reading manpage from bind-8 ):

<quote>
forward
 This option is only meaningful if the forwarders list is not empty. A
value of first, the default, causes the server to query the forwarders
first, and if that doesn't answer the question the server will then
look for the answer itself. If only is specified, the server will
only query the forwarders.
</quote>

Thus if forwarding fails the root-server hints is needed to find
the needed nameservers.

--
Peter Håkanson