Automating named.conf

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue May 11 01:29:03 UTC 2004

Tom Diehl wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I was wondering if anyone knows of any tools for adding and removing
>zones from named.conf? I know of several tools for building zone files
>but I cannot find anything for managing the named.conf file.
>
>Another thought I had was is it possible to store dns entries in ldap?
>Since my reasearch has not turned up anything wrt bind and ldap I suspect
>it is not possible but I thought I would ask.

Yeah, I suppose you could store this in LDAP. Seems like overkill
though. All you really need is a list. Personally, I use DNS itself for
this "metadata" -- a special zone with a PTR record (PTRs aren't limited
to "reverse" zones, you know, and are more compressible than TXT
records) for each zone which needs to be slaved. The general slaves are
also slaves for this special zone, and on a timed schedule, they check
whether anything has changed and reconfigure themselves from templates
automatically. One of the beauties of using DNS itself for this metadata
is that it doesn't require opening up any extra firewall ports (I'm
using this in a Border Gateway Network scenario so that's an important
consideration for me).

- Kevin