bind 8 slow when resolving new domains!

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Fri May 7 17:47:45 UTC 2004

dap99 at i-55.com wrote:

> I just don't see what's going on. Why is it timing out then working?
> I'm thinking that it's taking a long time for my bind to get a
> response, and my resolver times out first. The second try (after 5
> seconds) must have been lucky as the domain was resolved just in time.
>
> What I can't determine is *why* this is happening.

See comment in ns_resp.c

                         * Timeout while sysquery looks up the NS addresses.
                         *
                         * Hopefully we'll have them when the client asks
                         * again.
                         *
                         * too bad we can't just wait for the sysquery
                         * response to restart this query (it's too hard).

I believe bind9 is better behaved in this respect.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for