forwarders{} and delegation in zone behavior.

William Stacey staceyw at mvps.org
Wed May 5 15:52:43 UTC 2004

If you have a "forwarders { 1.1.1.1 }" statement in your options, you need a
"forwarders {}" in a zone to override the global forwarders to follow NS
delegations in that zone instead of using global forwarders (I think).  I am
unclear how to jive that with the 1034 basic algorithm for a rd query.
Assuming you have an auth zone configured (e.g. domaina.com), should not
step 1 find the qName in domaina.com or in any delegations and return result
or nxdomain even before it would try forwarding logic?  Or how might you
clear up algorithm below (for my understanding) to include the forwarders
behavior - maybe it is in there and I do not see it.  Thank you for your
insight.

"5.3.3. Algorithm

The top level algorithm has four steps:

   1. See if the answer is in local information, and if so return
      it to the client.

   2. Find the best servers to ask.

   3. Send them queries until one returns a response.

   4. Analyze the response, either:..."

--
William Stacey