Confused on how to setup BIND correctly

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 1 20:54:33 UTC 2004

In article <c70v4h$6n9$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Jason <jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Well, I think im confusing myself more than anything else at this point.
>   Thought i'd call in for some reinforcements.
>
> Here is what im attempting to do.
>
> Our ISP currently hosts our DNS record for our domain. I would like that
> to continue for the time being. Now, in the meantime, I setup a BIND 9.2
> server that is only being used by our internal network to serve up
> private address that are only accessible by our LAN. Here is an example
> of how users access our private web servers (address wise)
>
> webserver1.internal.mydomain.com
>
> What I would like to do, if possible, is remove the 'internal' part of
> the name so they would only need to use:
>
> webserver1.mydomain.com
>
> Yet, this IP address would not be publicly available.
> Also, if my users query mydomain.com, they answer would be pulled from
> our ISP's DNS server, not our private DNS server.

To do this, you would have to make separate zones for each internal
hostname:

zone "webserver1.mydomain.com" {
  type master;
  file "webserver.db";
};
zone "someothername.mydomain.com" {
  type master;
  file "someothername.db";
};
and do on.

> I may incorrect in this method, and if I am, please let me know. If
> there is a better way, I am all ears.

The usual solutions are either to use a different domain, as you
currently do, or replicate the public entries on your internal DNS
rather than pulling them from the ISP's DNS server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA